BROKEN HEARTS...

The Meyer Family has suffered another blow in two years...

On Sunday, April 17th, 2016...we had to say goodbye to our sweet baby kitty, Pippy Yvonne Meyer.


It seriously was one of the worst days of my life. The grief that followed the sudden loss of our baby was something I was not ready for. I didn’t like being awake because it reminded me that Pippy was gone. I didn’t like sleeping because Pippy slept with us every single night, so to not feel her anymore was shocking. It hurt to breathe and I felt numb to the world. I cried all day long for days on end. I kept looking for her everywhere but she was nowhere she was supposed to be...and that hurt the most. After 18 years, my baby girl was just gone.

She became very ill very quickly. She had had kidney disease for two years, but in a matter of weeks she entered renal failure and continued to get sicker. From July of 2015 to April of 2016, her “numbers” when from 4 to 8...and apparently 8 is when most kitties pass away. Yet she hadn’t, she was still going. Then, in just a week's time, her numbers went from 8 to 11. We had to rush her to the ER Vet because she stopped being able to go to the bathroom and was crying, and nothing we did could help her. All the quality of her life left so quickly. The tests at the emergency room showed that her white and red blood cell count had fallen, indicating that she probably had a blood infection that turned septic and she likely had leukemia as well.


She was dying...but slowly...and in so much pain...

We were given options but also told to start thinking about end of life decisions. It shattered me. We discussed what we were going to do...which was, ultimately, to stop everything because the end result was still going to be her passing. To do anything else would stress her out for our sake to get a few more weeks with her, and that wasn’t fair after a lifetime of what she’s given us. In a matter of hours, after being woken up by her cries at 7AM that Sunday morning, we were making the decision to help Pippy pass into paradise at 1PM.

I try to remind myself that we did what was best for her. She was in so much pain and was so sad. But I've lived with “what if's" for two weeks now. I can’t help but think that I should have known sooner, that I could have done better, or that I should have done more. Pippy and I grew up together - I got her when I was seven years old and I'm twenty-five now. She has been through so much with me and was always there through all the ups and downs. She helped me so much with my anxiety and panic disorders, so to have such a huge and shocking change after her always being there for two decades has been devastating.


It hit my husband pretty hard too. He’s had her in his life for ten years and has lived with her for five, and she was his baby girl. To see him so torn up about it just made things that much harder on me. But we tried to do right by her. At the very least, when she did have to pass away...she did it surrounded by the people who adored her. She didn’t know pain or fear in those final moments, and she wasn’t alone. I held her paws and looked into her eyes the entire time. I wanted to be the last thing she saw. But that look on her face, seeing her life move from this world to the next, is something that will stay with me forever...

We’ve done a lot in her memory. My mom got me a memorial necklace, and she also bought me a Cuddle Clone (cuddleclones.com) - I should get it around June. We made a special grave for her and have a little marker with her name...and I've kept the flowers on it every single day since it happened. We buried her with her most favorite toys and blanket, and I also made a shadow box with her paw prints, some fur, pictures, and toys that were favorites too. She has an obituary posted on fondpetmemories.com and our friends had an artist create a piece of artwork of her that that blew me away.


She was my world. She was my soulmate - my soul kitty. That was the most unconditional love I have ever experienced - I am so honored she chose me all those years ago to live her life story with her. I've had some pretty amazing signs, visitations, and dreams about her since she’s left. I know she’s okay, and I know she’s always with me. She wouldn’t want me to close my heart just because the loss of her has been so hard. She raised me better than that. I promised her the day she passed that I would always live my life in a way that would make her proud. We will carry her spirit with us wherever we go...her soul was so pure and genuine.

Until we are reunited at the Rainbow Bridge...here’s to you, Miss Pippy.

Comments