WHY DISNEY!?

I often get asked why I'm obsessed with Disney, or people don't even ask, they just give me a look that's half disgust and half pity. I don't understand, but I can only assume the disgust comes from a thought somewhere along the lines of "You're an adult, Disney is for children," whereas the pity originates from a thought like, "I feel sorry for you like something so immature."

"Too many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up - they forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old." ~ Walt Disney


For whatever reason the look stems from, it's pardoned because as people giving me a look of disgust and pity, I am in turn giving them a look of sorrow and forgiveness. Sorrow, because I can't imagine being an adult and not having any magic or wonder left inside you, and forgiveness because those kinds of folks will simply never understand, No matter how many times I try to explain it when people ask me "Why?" I just look at them because how can I answer? If you have to question then it's probably because you don't see it.


The quote from the Disney film Santa Clause, starring Tim Allen, stands out to me - "Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing." Sure, anyone can go to a Disney park or watch a Disney film and "see" it...but are they actually believing? Even if it isn't "logical" to believe in fairytales of love, toys that come to life when you leave the room, a whole city of monsters or fish who can speak whale...that's the point. The magic, the wonder, the mystery, the fact that perhaps it really COULD be true. The hope that all of these things are possible.

It's not something you can easily explain. I feel that Disney can be very black and white, you either like it or you don't. While I can say that I'm lucky to have family members who completely *get* my Disney love...there's also the flip side where I have some people who just don't get it and use every opportunity to make fun of me for it.


"Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a dang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought - sometimes it isn't much, either." ~ Walt Disney


I attribute the lack of understanding to a loss of magic. Tinkerbell's pixie dust wore off on them a long time ago. I typically have a protocol when I'm approached by none-Disney obsessed people. The first time, I try to explain myself. The second time, I try to tell them about Disney. The third time...well, there isn't a third time. If I can't get them to believe without seeing the second time, then no matter how many "third time's a charm" sayings may ring through my head, it's probably not going to happen.


That isn't to say that there aren't people who don't believe at first but can change. Certainly, there are, or there are people like my fiance, who liked Disney but really didn't have the "lifestyle" down until we met. But most of the time, it's either a big part of your life, or it's not. For me, it's always been my life. My nursery was Disney themed, for heaven sakes...and you can't put a newborn in a room full of Disney and not expect that to be a reoccurring trend through the rest of their life. There's also the fact that my parents honeymooned to Walt Disney World, which just so happens to be where my fiance and I are honeymooning too.

So, when people ask me "Why Disney?"...there really isn't a clear-cut answer. I try my very hardest to help people understand the magic, wonder, hope and beauty that is a life of Disney. But if there is anything I wish people would know, it's this: Please stop with the judgement. There is absolutely no reason you need to be feeling sorry for the people who love Disney. Sure, my wedding shower might be Mickey and Minnie themed, my wedding day might be inspired by Beauty and the Beast, and I'm going to be spending two weeks running around with a giant mouse, singing with princesses, racing through space on a rocket ship and going back in time to see dinosaurs...but it's okay. That's my life, and I wouldn't have it any other way, and I can only hope that someday you uncage that child that you've locked up inside of you...even for just a minute to remember what it was like to believe.



"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." ~ Walt Disney

PS: I can promise you this much, no matter what kind of reaction I get about my Disney obsession, Disney is always going to be a part of my life. I will always love it, always dream about it, make my house themed with it and try and convince everyone around me why Walt Disney World is acceptable vacation option no matter what the occasion. My children will grow up on it, and if there's anything I want to leave behind when I die, it's the fact that people will know me as the "Disney Lady."

Comments