FAVORITE DISNEY RIDES

I've got Disney on the brain like crazy lately. It's the end of the semester, which means in just a few short days I'll so much free time this next ten and a half weeks to do nothing but sit around and think, dream and plan for my Disney honeymoon. So, I thought it'd be fun to talk about my top five favorite rides at Walt Disney World. The five I picked are the rides I absolutely cannot miss when I go to the parks. These go in no particular order except for the very first one.

Spaceship Earth

Hands down, it’s my all time favorite Disney ride evereverever. It’s housed in the future section of Epcot inside the geodesic sphere, the icon for the park (and please don't refer to it as "the giant golf ball"). A lot of people don't realize there's actually a ride inside the centerpiece of the park. I can't exactly pinpoint why it's my favorite ride ever - it just includes everything that is absolute, perfectly disney. It utilizes the omnimover system and is considered a dark ride ("dark" as in it's dark inside, not that it's scary). The ride basically takes you through the entire timeline of human and the evolution of our communication - from the Neanderthals and cave writing, Ancient Egyptians and hieroglyphics, Greeks and the libraries, Romans and highways, the Middle Ages and the European Renaissance, post-Civil War and printing, and finally, the twentieth century with all its technology. Once you reach the top of the sphere, your car moves backward and you begin descending back down, going through a long tunnel filled with stars while hearing the narrator - currently voiced by Dame Judi Dench - talk about the possibilities of the future. This is where the rider gets to interact with the onboard computer and "design" what they want their future to look like, in a computer animated fashion. It's really amazing, and so wonderfully Disney and I hope Epcot never gets rid of it. The wait time for this ride isn't too bad, since the method of transportation for this ride is continuously moving, thus making loading and unloading happening regularly.

[[[ via ]]]
Living With The Lands

This is also located in the future section of Epcot. LWTL is a boat ride that is part dark ride with audio animatronics, and part educational tour through a greenhouse and horticulture center. I've been on it before when I was younger, but the first time I actually remember going on it was in 2009. My mom wanted to ride it, and at first, I was like, "Really? This is going to be boring." but I was so wrong! I should have known better with Disney! It is seriously one of the best rides in all the parks, and I can't get enough of it. This ride also includes some of the best Hidden Mickey's around! Every time I've ever had the chance to ride this, the wait time is rarely more than five minutes, but I seriously could spend all day on it. LTWL is such a great little gem at Epcot, and one of the best educational rides I've ever been on.

[[[ via ]]]
Pirates Of The Carribean

Of course, it had to be on this list...especially because it's fiance's favorite! It's located in Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom of Walt Disney World. I have yet to go to Disneyland, but I hear their POTC is a longer version than WDW's, so I'm excited to *someday* check that out. It's a dark boat ride that takes you through the Caribbean. This ride inspired the awesomely amazing "Pirates of the Caribbean" film series, which in turn reinspired the rides and you'll now find the likes of CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow, Captain Hector Barbossa - my favorite pirate ever - and other things like mermaids, Blackbeard and Davy Jones. This is a classic Disney ride, full of the audio animatronics that I absolutely love. It's also one of the last rides (the Disneyland version of POTC) that Walt Disney himself oversaw the creation of, so it's as if you actually see things through Walt's eyes. It's a wonderful ride that will never be at risk of closing. You can expect long wait times for this ride, as it is simply a Disney classic and that's how Disney classics go!

[[[ via ]]]
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

This drop tower, dark ride is at Hollywood Studios at the end of the Sunset Boulevard section and is based on the old television show "The Twilight Zone." Growing up, I hated any ride that had to do with falling. I remember the first time I ever went on this ride, I was absolutely petrified and so mad at my parents for making me go on it. Now, however, I couldn't get tired of it in the least. This specific TOT had a Disney Channel Original Movie created for it, and the storyline for the movie and ride is that of a "haunted hotel." Every time you ride it, you get a different number of drops at the end as determined by a computer. It has one of the best queue in all the disney parks because you really feel like you just walked into a scary space. The wait times for this ride can be ridiculous but it's absolutely worth it, especially if you're looking for an adrenaline rush!

[[[ via ]]]
Haunted Mansion

One of my top rides of all time has to be the Haunted Mansion. This ride is located in Liberty Square in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. It has a very straight forward storyline - it's a "haunted mansion." It's a pretty scary ride but not overwhelmingly terrified. I always remember being spooked when I rode it as a kid but I can't even put my love into words for it now. It inspired major motion picture with Eddie Murphy called "Haunted Mansion." It's a silly movie but one of my absolute favorite Halloween-time films to watch. It has some of the most memorable characters from any Disney ride, including the Hitchhiking Ghosts, Madame Leota, and the "Ghost Host." The Haunted Mansion has some of the most dedicated fans and is held in a different regard than a lot of other rides. The Disneyland version is pretty similar although I believe it is a shorter ride through than the WDW one. Despite having a constantly moving loading system, the wait times can be very long for this ride. But don't worry, it'll be around forever! ;)

[[[ via ]]]
As I mentioned before, these are the rides that I absolutely have to do when I go to Walt Disney World. I love almost all the rides in all the parks, but some other top choices include the Carousel of Progress, located in Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom. The Wedway Peoplemover (more recently known as the Tomorrowland Transit Authority), located in Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom. Splash Mountain, based in Frontierland in the Magic Kingdom. Maelstrom, based in the Norway Pavillion at Epcot. Soarin', based in The Lands Pavillion at Epcot. The Great Movie Ride, based in the Hollywood Boulevard section of Hollywood Studios; Toy Story Mania, found in the Pixar area of Hollywood Studios. Dinosaur, found in Dinoland USA in the Animal Kingdom, and Expedition Everest, found in the Asia section of the Animal Kingdom.

For those who have been to Walt Disney World, what is your favorite ride? For those who haven't been to WDW, what is the one ride you *dream* of going on someday?

Comments