SIX YEAR ANNIVERSARY!

On Sunday, March 3rd, Fiance and I celebrated our six year anniversary! I can't believe it. It feels like we've been together for SO long, but it seems like it's just flown right on by! I still remember the day that he moved to Florida, and thinking, "These next two years are going to take forever"...and look! He's been home for almost two years now!


I remember the night he asked me to be his girlfriend like it was yesterday. I was 16, and he was 17, and we were on the phone late one night. We had been talking for about two months at this point, and towards the end of the conversation, he said, "Make a wish on the first star you see, and I'll try to make it come true." I did, and I told him that I had, and that's when he asked me if I'd be his girlfriend (my wish that I had made). Or, how we used to say it back then..."Will you go out with me?" ;P

How lucky are we to be able to call each other our high school sweetheart? We got to go to homecoming and prom together and see each other graduate. Then we went through two years of long distance (at that point we had been dating for about two years). It was hard, and we had our first major fight ever right before he moved. But we stuck it out and made it work because we wanted it to. So, he went to Florida to college, and it was a fresh change of pace in our relationship. We were able to grow as separate individuals while still being a couple, so when we finally came back together, it was a whole new dynamic.


I am proud of the fact that we weren't one of those relationships that broke up or even took a break - we made it work. We put in the effort, time, patience, blood, sweat and tears...and dealt with the things life handed us instead of taking the easy way out. The thought of "breaking up" or "taking a break" has never come up once between us. You either do a relationship 100%, or you don't. You shouldn't have any in between options.

He proposed to me the day he moved back home to Ohio. It was around 11AM - he said he couldn't wait to ask me, so he and his dad drove 18 hours straight from Florida to Ohio! He took me out under the front yard cherry tree and asked me to become his wife. I don't remember a lot of what he said because I was freaking out and shaking so badly. But I know I said yes...and then a spider fell on my shoulder. As is our relationship - any time we try to be romantic or serious, something funny/dumb/accidental has to happen. But it was perfect, and I wouldn't have it any other way.


In the six years we've been together, we have been through more things than probably the average person. Deaths, heart attacks, hospital stays, strokes, nervous breakdowns, cancers, long distance, surgeries, divorces, therapy...we have become so much closer because of all the trials we've been through. But that just makes the triumphs that much sweeter. I love that no matter what goes on in life, he won't run away and he'll always be by my side. As I will be for him.

We've been planning our wedding for almost two years now. Our two-year engagaversary is at the end of May. He is the best person I have ever met - he is so compassionate, selfless, driven, faithful, honest, fun, handsome and a million other adjectives. I can't believe he is mine forever and I get to be his wife in July! I am the luckiest and most happy lady.


Here's to six years of being together...two were in high school, two were long distance, and two have been engaged. In just a few short months this man will be my husband. And, while most of the time I feel uncomfortable when people say, "You're so lucky to have what you have so young"...I know that I really am lucky because he and I deserve each other. Thanks to God, we got to find each other early in life, so we don't have to walk in this world alone.

Comments

  1. cute picture and nice memories! keep them always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you and that's the plan!

      Delete

Post a Comment